User friendly BLM
The new Guidance for deriving Environmental Quality Standards (EQS) under the European Water Framework Directive (WFD) supports the use of a tiered compliance assessment regime for metals that incorporates both correction for natural background concentrations and bioavailability. However, the guidance does not provide practical tools to implement a bioavailability-based compliance regime. Moreover, current BLM/WHAM normalisations for Cu, Ni, Zn and Pb are time-consuming and not sufficiently user-friendly for regulatory use. To this end, Bio-met was developed.
Bio-met is a user-friendly tool to assess Environmental Quality Standard (EQS) compliance of metals under the EU Water Framework Directive. Based on scientifically validated Biotic Ligand Models (BLMs), bio-met accounts for the bioavailability of copper, nickel, zinc, and lead with one single click! The tool requires the input of the following abiotic water parameters: DOC, pH and Hardness concentration. When used as part of a tiered approach, biomet provides water managers with an opportunity to efficiently account for metal bioavailability in a transparent way and deliver a robust metric of potential environmental risk.
A website has been developed that will act as a portal for all aspects of metal bioavailability and its implementation and includes an online version of the user-friendly tools
The Biomet tool has been developed jointly by ARCHE and WCA. Sponsors of the tool are NIPERA, IZA, ECI and ILA.
In order to use the tool you must register at our Biometdedicated website and obtain a Login account in order to access the tool and all supporting information.
Visit the BIOMET website at
Keep track of our latest news
- Newsletter Regulatory updates across EU
- ARCHE Consulting is looking for enthusiastic team members
- NEW MERAG FACT Sheets published
- Active participation in OECD Guideline
- ARCHE Consulting participates in the Horizon 2020 CHROMIC project
- ARCHE Consortia
- ARCHE Consulting cares about your cosmetics!
- ARCHE gets the first SETAC EUROPE certified Environmental Risk Assessment Assessor degree!
- Call of interest (08-01-2016) consortium formation and cooperation for sodium 2-biphenylate in biocidal products for PTs 1,2,3,4,6 and 13
- REACH 2018: Act now to ensure a successful registration
- REACH Orphan Substances Consortium welcomes Strontium and Barium!
- ARCHE helped these products to successfully obtain their Cradle to Cradle certification!
- ARCHE co-authored latest EFSA report in support of the Guidance Document on persistence in soil.
- Release Metal EQS video!!!
- Open invitation to join the REACH Orphan Substances Consortium- ROSC
- ARCHE and REACHLaw announce a partnership in the area of REACH Authorisation
Meet us at these upcoming events
- 05-06/07 - HSE Seminar: Ecotoxicology Higher Tier Risk Assessment Workshop
- 26-27/09 - ECHA: BIOCIDES STAKEHOLDERS DAY